PFLAG believes in promoting change through education. Listed below are key educational resources that you can download for free from PFLAG National.
“Faith in Our Families: Parents, Families and Friends Talk About Religion and Homosexuality”
“Welcoming Our Trans Family and Friends”
“Be Yourself: Questions and Answers for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth”
“Our Daughters and Sons: Questions and Answers for Parents of Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual People ”
“Opening the Straight Spouses’ Closet”
Other useful information:
- Download the American Psychological Association brochure on Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality (also available for download from our Chinese language page).
- Download Questions and Answers for Parents and Family Members of Gender Variant and Transgendered Youth, a publication of the Vancouver School Board.
- Download Early Childhood Development, Your Options: How Do I Know If My Child Is Transgender? By Stephanie Brill and Caitlin Ryan, PhD, ACSW
- Download Supportive Families, Healthy Children, a publication of the Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University (also available for download from our Spanish and Chinese language pages).
- Download Supportive Families, Healthy Children for LDS Families, a publication of the Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University
- Download Understanding Gender, A Gender Spectrum (www.genderspectrum.org) publication
Recommended Books, Audio, Video
- BEYOND ACCEPTANCE: Carolyn Griffin & Marian and Arthur Wirth (1986)
- BI ANY OTHER NAME:Bisexual People Speak Out Ed. Loraine Hutchins & Lani Ka’ahumanu (1991)
- COMING OUT: An Act of Love Rob Eichberg, Ph.D. (1990)
- COMING OUT TO PARENTS Mary V. Borhek (1983)
- DIFFERENT DAUGHTERS : A Book by Mothers of Lesbians, Louise Raskin, Ed. (1987)
- IS IT A CHOICE? Answers to 300 of the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Gays and Lesbians, Eric Marcus (1993)
- THE FAMILY HEART : A Memoir Of When Our Son Came Out Robb Forman Dew (1995)
- NOT LIKE OTHER BOYS : Growing Up Gay : a Mother and a Son look back, Marlene Fanta Shyer and Christopher Shyer (1996)
- NOW THAT YOU KNOW :What Every Parent Should Know About Homosexuality, Betty Fairchild and Nancy Hayward (1989)
- THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CLOSET : The Coming-Out Crisis for Straight Spouses & Families, Amity Pierce Buxton (1994)
- REFLECTIONS OF A ROCK LOBSTER : A Story about growing Up Gay, Aaron Fricke (1981)
- RESCUING THE BIBLE FROM FUNDAMENTALISM :A Bishop Rethinks The Meaning of Scripture, Bishop John Shelby Spong (1991)
- STRAIGHT PARENTS/GAY CHILDREN, Robert A. Bernstein(1995)
- TRANSGENDER WARRIORS : Making History From Joan of Arc to RuPaul, Leslie Feinberg (1996)
- AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY 28.5 90 Minute Video, Call Denver PFLAG, 303-333-0286
- ACCEPTING YOUR GAY OR LESBIAN CHILD , 90 Minute AudioTape, Call Denver PFLAG, 303-333-0286 or go to their website.